Istanbul Ataturk airport attack: Deaths rise to 41, with 239 hurt

Istanbul Ataturk airport attack: Deaths rise to 41, with 239 hurt

13
0
SHARE

The death toll in a gun and suicide bomb attack on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport has risen to 41, 13 of them foreign nationals, with 239 injured, the Turkish city’s governor says.
Three attackers arrived in a taxi and began firing at the terminal entrance late on Tuesday. They blew themselves up after police fired back.
PM Binali Yildirim said early signs pointed to so-called Islamic State.
However, no-one has so far admitted carrying out the attack.
Turkey has declared Wednesday a day of national mourning.
Turkish investigators are examining CCTV footage, witness statements and mobile phone video recorded by terrified passengers to try to determine the identity of the attackers.
The Dogan news agency said autopsies on the three dead men suggested they may be foreign nationals but this has not been confirmed.

A worker cleans blood from the roof of the international departure terminal 
Istanbul’s governor confirmed that at least 13 of the 41 dead were of foreign or dual nationality.
Some 109 of those injured have now been discharged from hospital.
UK Prime Minister David Cameron said there were no reports yet of any British casualties, but the Foreign Office was in contact with Turkish authorities.
Nationality of dead so far confirmed (may include dual nationality)
23 – Turkish
5 – Saudi
2 – Iraqi
1 – Chinese; Jordanian; Tunisian; Uzbek; Iranian; Ukrainian; (Palestinian ambassador to Turkey says one Palestinian woman killed)
Cleaners worked through the morning to sweep up shattered glass, while workers repaired cables and ceiling tiles. Heavily-armed security personnel were patrolling the airport.
Flights had resumed in the early morning, though with many cancellations and delays.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said the attack should serve as a turning point in the global fight against militant groups.
Reports of the attack vary but it appears the attackers opened fire at the entrance where X-ray machines are positioned, sparking an exchange with police. At least two of the attackers ran into the building.
Footage on social media shows one moving through the building as people around him flee. He is shot by police and remains on the ground for about 20 seconds before blowing himself up. All three attackers were killed.

Relatives of Siddik Turgan, a customs officer at Ataturk airport, attend his funeral 

Forensic Medical Centre officials look out on family members who ahd gathered to hear news
The US called the attack “heinous”, saying America remained “steadfast in our support for Turkey”.
Russian President Vladimir Putin offered his condolences to Turkey in a phone call with Mr Erdogan, as the pair seek to rebuild ties.
French President Francois Hollande has confirmed two French nationals were injured in the attack, but not seriously.
Pope Francis denounced the “brutal terrorist attack”, saying: “May the Lord convert the hearts of the violent ones and support our efforts toward the path of peace.”
#PrayforTurkey began trending on Twitter after the attack.

Source: BBC 29-06-2016
 
 

NO COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY